- Devising plans and policies for Overseas Expertise Introduction (OEI), drafting relevant laws and guidelines, formulating administrative measures for OEI and supervising the implementation.
- Examining and approving key plans financed by special state funds for employing overseas experts, and coordinating the implementation of such state plans.
- Compiling the budget for OEI special funds, supervising the use of such funds, and assisting with the handling of major OEI-related events.
- Administering relevant international exchanges and cooperation, building up the service system for OEI, regulating the intermediary agencies involved, managing the information concerning OEI, and organizing and coordinating the exchanges with experts from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
- Managing annual overseas training plans, examining and approving overseas training programs financed by special state funds and other training programs, and coordinating the implementation of key overseas training programs.
- Undertaking other matters assigned by the State Council and the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security.